(The return of Duncan to blogging!)
Imagine going to see a doctor who works in a clinic without electricity, or lab equipment to process simple blood work (like reading blood smears to check for malaria) or a weighing scale. This is the situation for patients that travel to Kabila Health Center, and numerous other health facilities in the rural parts of Tanzania.
I've blogged previously about the challenging situation for Simon, the clinical officer that works at Kabila. Jill and I decided to do something to help people like Simon do their jobs, so we bought Kabila Health Center a weighing scale.
The only scale we could find in town was covered entirely in very feminine, bright orange and pink flowers. When we brought it to Simon, he was shocked. His mouth dropped open, and out came the words: “Oh, goodness!” We couldn't exactly tell if his response was in delight at receiving a weighing scale in clinic, or at the sight of the garish flowery pattern. (We think it's probably the former.) Wish I had taken a picture!
No comments:
Post a Comment