Friday, November 20, 2009

July 15th




When I first began working in the hospital, I thought it was a coincidence that five of the patients I saw one day all had July 15th as their birthday.



The following day, I noticed again that several of my patients had July 15th as their birthday.  I asked one of my Tanzanian colleagues why this was so.  It turns out that when a child or adult patient does not know his/her own date of birth, the practice is to write down July 15th.  It's not uncommon for a quarter of the 30 patients I see each day in the HIV clinic to have July 15th listed as their birthday.  


Imagine never knowing your own birthday! Maybe someday in Tanzania, July 15th will be a national holiday to  celebrate the forgotten birthdays of so many people in this country.  

No comments:

Post a Comment