Tuesday, November 17, 2009

books for Africa



So the other organization for street children that I work with draws children in through stories. Every afternoon, the Streetwise Team sets up a mobile library on a grassy, tree lined patch of land near Lake Victoria.   



All children who arrive are welcomed, given cups of clean water to drink, basic medical treatment if needed and a chance to pick a story book to read, or to be read to. 





It's been interesting to learn more about how street children respond to the stories. Streetwise staff have noticed that the children engage far more with stories featuring African characters and settings. Which made me aware of yet another area of need for children that we hadn't thought much about before: the need for well-written and well-illustrated books written by African authors for African children. 


Of course there are people who argue that it's far more important to ensure children get good health care, regular meals and basic education. And frankly, very few families have money to spare on story books. But...but...I think of how completely riveted the boys I've read books to have been, how much my own childhood was shaped by books and it's hard for me to ignore the great value and importance of bringing more of them to children here, especially ones they can relate to. 




"Stories can conquer fear you know, they can make the heart bigger." -Ben Okri, Nigerian writer
First 3 photos courtesy of former Streetwise volunteers

4 comments:

  1. Interesting catch at the need for children books written locally for local kids. Are there currently any African authors working on children books? Is it lack of focus/awareness, or accessibility?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Who are we writing to? =)

    There are definitely some African authors working on books--but from my limited experience, they're concentrated in South Africa (the richest African country), and possibly Kenya or Nigeria.

    Also seems that the habit of reading books for leisure has yet to take hold. Lack of money, bulk of time devoted to farming, lack of relevant books, lack of focus, and oral story-telling tradition might also be factors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Hmma. Sorry, I thought it picked up my wordpress login, but apparently it doesn't. Was just thinking if there is some opportunity to address that need...and how will that look like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that books build up who you are. I can say without a doubt that who I am today comes not only from my family, friends and schooling but a large part from the stories I read as a child up til today.

    Stories teach us empathy and allow us to connect to a world we otherwise would not belong to.

    I guess it's a little bit of chicken and egg with this issue though. How do you get african stories for african children without someone to write them in the first place? It's hard to convince people that writing and reading has such importance when they're starving.

    ReplyDelete