Setting: At the Kivulini office (women's organization where I volunteer), a man is sitting with one leg propped up on his chair, the leg is in a metal brace. He sees me, and immediately asks a Kivulini staff member to speak for him. It goes something like this:
Translator: “Jen-NEE-fa, this man would like to talk with you.”
Me: “Yes, ok.” (I glance at his leg, see a gaping wound clear to the bone at least 7 inches long, and know exactly what is coming.)
Translator: “This man has got a serious problem with his leg and asks if you can help him.”
Me: “What happened to his leg?”
Translator: “A machine at his workplace. He has just been transferred from Bugando Hospital to another hospital in Arusha but cannot go until he collects the money.”
(Man in question looks on eagerly, back and forth between us like he’s at a tennis match.)
Me: “How much does he need?” (Both men chuckle and smile, somewhat sheepishly.)
Translator: “Whatever you can give.”
Me: “No, I want to know how much it costs to go to Arusha from Mwanza.”
Translator: “60,000 shilings ($45 US). But he will take whatever you have.”
Me: “I do not have any money today (I do have some, but I just don't know what to do.) When is he going to Arusha?”
Translator: “When he has collected the money.”
Me: “I must discuss this with my husband first.” (I've used this before, and it always works. At least to buy some time.)
(Wounded man looks expectedly at our translator.)
Translator: (in Swahili) “She must ask her husband. Come back later.”
***
So, I ask myself, and I ask you--what is the right thing to do in this situation? Unlike the children on the streets that seem to ask us just for fun, this is a man with a bad injury. And Duncan gets asked for money by hospital patients every once in awhile too.
But there are all kinds of questions that we still haven't figured out:
What kind of precedent does giving this man money in a public place set?
How do I decide whether to give? Whether I like his face, or believe his story? How much would I give anyway?
How do I know this man will use the money for good and not for evil?
A lot of other expats stick to the policy of giving to organizations, rather than individuals but...surely there are exceptions?
We are currently polling the old-timers for their two cents and will report back.
opening the floodgates?
ReplyDeletepossibly...but as a default, the floodgates are wide open already simply because of how we look!
ReplyDeleteit's definitely a difficult problem and one I have not yet found a satisfactory answer for.
ReplyDeleteIt's a fine line between helping out your fellow man and setting a bad precedent for the future.
In general, I tend to decline people who ask me directly for money, especially if I've never ever met them before. But it's still heart breaking to refuse someone you know is really in need.
If I'm realistic about it then it's gotta be tough love, sure you're in need, but then so are people that I know better who have never asked me for anything. I'm willing to help but you gotta first be willing to help yourself.. what would the guy have said if you had offered to loan him money instead of giving it...
As much as it goes against altruism and the general idea helping the needy, it makes more sense to make them earn the assistance than to give it freely.