Saturday, February 13, 2010

the jen/julia project

As Duncan is still in South Africa providing moral support to his fellow BIPAI doctor, I am home alone which makes it very tempting to stop cooking responsible, grown-up meals and have french toast for dinner! But, I couldn't do it.


Maybe it's because I watched that Julie/Julia movie (with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams) at least 4 times on all our plane rides to and from North America over Christmas. And maybe because right after that, I also devoured (ha!) Julia Child's My Life in France. But basically, I'm on a "Mastering the Art of French (and not so French)  Cooking" rampage inspired by Julia. 


Last week, the project was pie crust. So, there was peach tart and apple pie and deep-dish chicken pie and soon--there will be quiche. Were we not living in Mwanza, I'm not sure I'd have all the free time and motivation to do this (i.e. if we don't make pie ourselves, there's no place to buy it!) Something to be thankful for.
BIPAI Mwanza team and their very nicely cleaned off pie plates

2 comments:

  1. cool...of course you have to share that when u get back here...glad u r still being a responsible adult sans Duncan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice work with the baking!!! I have mastering the art of french cooking too -- i should try a few recipes while i'm in Beijing -- haha. nothing like being away from home to inspire you to do things you wouldn't normally do (another reason why being comfortable can also make me lazy)

    ReplyDelete