Have you ever wondered where your donations to Goodwill end up?
If it wasn’t rude or sometimes dangerous to go around snapping pictures of people’s outfits without their permission (or if I was willing to pay people for the privilege) then I could show you how much donated clothing ends up in Tanzania!
We’re frequently amused by the t-shirts sported by Tanzanian men (women tend to dress more traditionally). There are plenty of sports logos--I’ve counted 10 Toronto Maple Leafs shirts and baseball caps alone--and everything else from “Curves Weight Loss Center” to “New Jersey is for Lovers”.
The best so far though, would probably have to go to the young gentleman walking around in a, “You’re Looking at the World’s Best Grandma” t-shirt spotted in Dar es Salaam this past Monday.
In Mozambique it's called "calamity clothing." Of course the clothing isn't given away; it's sold to street vendors. They turn around and resell (cheaply though from what I'm told). It's funny to see an Abercrombie shirt on someone who's never been within thousands of miles from an actual store.
ReplyDeleteHey Nathan! Actually--you're right, I think it's the same deal here, people buy the "used clothing" from street vendors.
ReplyDeleteHope your parents are well in Mozambique!