Saturday, April 9, 2011

An update on Grandma YC


On our May 26 and June 4 2010 blogs, I shared about a grandmother’s denial that her one-year-old granddaughter was HIV infected; and after rounds of talking, grandma YC had finally came around to accepting the truth.

On Friday, I saw Grandma YC and her granddaughter at the Baylor clinic for the first time since 9 months.   It was a joyous reunion to she how well the granddaughter had improved (I could not recognize her because of all the weight she gained) since the days we took care of her in the malnutrition ward where I did not think she would survive.  Grandma YC has been faithful in brining her granddaughter to clinic every month and giving her antiretroviral medications to take everyday.

Grandma YC and I hugged each other after not seeing one another for so long, though the granddaughter was not fond of people in white coats.  Grandma YC said to me in Swahili “I continue to thank God for your help, and am so grateful for what you have done for my granddaughter.”

It’s moments like this, that I will miss most about my work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment