Today in clinic, a HIV infected mom brought in her 5-day-old baby because of fever. The baby was born at home and developed a fever last night. This morning, the mother went to a local dispensary to purchase an antibiotic (in Tanzania, you don’t need a doctor’s prescription) and gave it to her baby. Since the fever did not defervesce, the mother brought the baby to our attention.
After examining the baby, I mentioned to mom that I needed to admit her baby to the hospital for a sepsis workup and to start IV antibiotics. The mom remained silent. I asked the translator to ask if the mom was all right. She finally spoke up and told me she has 3 other young children at home she needed to take care of, and she did not have any help from relatives or neighbors or her husband that left her recently. Are there any oral medications I could give the baby instead, was her question. I told her unfortunately we needed to give her baby IV antibiotics, because the fever could signify a serious infection.
I sympathized for the mother, who needed to choose between which of her children to care for. I wish I could have offered mom more help. It seems life can be so much more difficult for families here, even ones that already face an insurmountable number of hardships in life.
Pray that mom may find help and support during this time.

No comments:
Post a Comment