Sunday, December 13, 2009

Week 10



Throughout the last 10 weeks, we’ve tried to engage the boys at Kuleana on topics like team-building, goal setting, and recognizing your gifts. I’d say the boys’ responses to our efforts were lukewarm to mixed for the most part. The reasons for this--I'm not sure yet.


Probably our most successful week was when we told them the story of Jackie Robinson, the famous African-American baseball player. Given their life histories, many of the boys tend towards negativity or indifference about the future. We were hoping that by sharing the story of one man who overcame great difficulties, they could be encouraged, even just a little, to see new possibilities.  When we asked the boys what they remembered most from the Friday sessions, every one of them said, “Jackie Lobinson.” 

In some ways, I think my experience at Kuleana mirrors the experience of many international volunteers who come to places like Mwanza. High hopes and grand plans colliding with the deflating and baffling reality that often, the people you made those grand plans for, didn’t really see the point of most of it. 

There’s so much to learn and understand!  I realize that I need to re-examine my own attitude towards “the needy people.” Even though I might think I’m over it, or don’t want to admit it out loud, at the end of the day, the truth is that I expect genuine, delighted gratitude for the work I do here.   

So, now what? In the words of Bilbo, “Go back? No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!” 

On we go reflecting on what worked and what didn’t. And then we walk on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment