Monday, February 14, 2011

Drip drip drop

The rains were late and scanty this year. There's a Swahili word (I need to find the correct spelling) that perfectly captures the feeble drip drip drop of this type of rain. It's something like, mwa-nu-nu. 


I'm leaving Mwanza for New York in 10 days. Duncan will stay on until the end of May. We could not deprive him the opportunity to work in that shiny new clinic, could we?  Even if only for a few months. 


Time is passing steadily. Drip drip drop. We enjoyed a recent weekend away with two families from our small group. Goodbye for now, beautiful Serengeti.  


My work at Kivulini is coming to an end. Last Friday, I taught one final communications workshop for the staff. I will remember those unexpected moments of laughter we shared together. Real, fall-out-of-your-chair kind of laughter.  Laughing at our frailties, at how behind we were in filing reports, at the never-ending obligations to donors, at the seemingly impossible odds facing this country.  I think our laughter was akin to the firecrackers set off during Chinese New Year; an attempt to scatter the demons.  To declare, "We're not afraid of you!"


10 days will go by quickly. Drip drip drop.  And there are many things to fix into memory. For now, we'll start with these:


 Loading up the Peck-mobile: 4 big people, 4 little people, lunch, snacks and drinks for all.

Endless plains

 Breakfast at Kijereshi

My highly keen class 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your last days in Tanzania Jen. Glad I got to see a *brief* moment of your life there. And good to hear that you are still laughing through it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Gloria! You are one of only 3 friends who was able to taste a bit of our life here. Hope you are very well!

    ReplyDelete